Thursday, December 2, 2010

Does your Job have a Future?

Ever since I read the book "Who Moved My Cheese" I have always been wondering if my Job is actually the next cheese which may be moved? (Hope not)

Being in the outsourcing / offshoring industry (IT and now BPO) I have always thought that the biggest risk to my job and profile is the economic, political and military stability of India. If someday there is an eminent and real threat to any of these, then the whole offshoring industry in India can actually collapse leaving my job in jeopardy. I wonder what my back up plan would be? Where else can I contribute with whatever perceived skills I posses?

One of the key reasons for me to opt for an MBA was to actually minimize that risk a little more and make my skills "transferable" between industries. I had hoped to be part of the core industry post my MBA but for a variety of reasons did not (rather could not). However I wish to test the waters one day and confirm if my skills and my education actually help me traverse into some other industry. For this very same reason I had applied to multiple non offshoring jobs on the campus, got shortlisted and even got interviewed at a few places. This indeed boosted my confidence that what I bring to the table may be valued outside the offshoring and outsourcing world too. However being heavily risk averse at that time decided to land up back in the Offshoring MNC world.

One of the key parameters that I keep tracking these days is that how "real" is the future of the offshoring world?

While I maybe pondering on the future of my job, here are the 10 jobs which may actually be in jeopardy.

Disappearing Jobs: 10 High-Paying Careers with No Future
This one is even more interesting (Damn - one of them is my DREAM Role

 Top 5 Highly-Paid But Useless Corporate Jobs

No comments: