Tuesday, March 16, 2010

NEGA - Negotiation Analysis -Did it help?

Scenario::Placement Season
Day 9 -
One of my friends has not yet found a company and a role that he is comfortable working with.

Then he finds a company and a role that he loves. He talks to the interview panel and they forward his profile to someone who they think he will work with if given an employment. They both connect have an amazing discussion on the possibilities and their interests. They share a lot in common professionally (Both from IIT, Both MBAs, Both analytically inclined, Both Data oriented). My friend is told that someone will get back to him on the next steps. My friend is very happy and so are we all. However there is no news after that. Complete silence. I finally call up the company HR and ask what the issue is and am informed that they are not making him an offer. On further enquiries I find out that the company feels he is asking for too much (is there something like asking for too much in ISB? :) ). I ask the company to forget the salary negotiations and give me a sense of what they feel about the candidate. They said he was an amazing fit for them, and explained to me the role they were offering him. This role was exaclty what my friend was looking for. So I asked them what they were ready to offer and they quoted figure "X" which was a just a little under what my friend was looking for. The company agreed to take the salary a few notches up and my friend was elated to take the offer.


Later I asked him what went wrong in the salary negotiations and he said that he remembered the Negotiation Analysis class and wanted to anchor high. But I think he slept through the part where Prof Kamdar said that while anchoring ensure that you are not driving away the other party.
My experience because of Negotiation Analysis has been very different and nice.
Negotiation Skills -they surely helped a lot during all the contract negotiations that we have had over the past 2 years. Whenever wehave reached an impasse, some of the skills acquired during the class has helped me a lot. There was this one time when the client was not ready to pay for additional capacity that was required to complete the work and we found it impossible to function without the additional. Capacity. We ended up breaking the discussion up into smaller components and making it a menu based pricing model.



1 comment:

Maverick said...

Hi Amit,

I am a CA and considering to do an MBA with ISB. Would like to discuss with you before taking the leap. Please contact me @ vsriharsha@gmail.com